There was a time when the only way to build a website was coding with HTML/CSS. And learning HTML alone would take months, meaning one would have to spend almost an entire year studying web development before they can build a website. And that is why we left the task in the hands of qualified people – the web developers.
But today, things have changed. Neither do you need to learn HTML or CSS to make a website, nor do you need someone who has these skills. And that is due to ready-made website building tools available online, where you can immediately start creating and designing unique websites with no technical knowledge.
There are many website builders such as Squarespace and Wix, but WordPress easily beats all frameworks and CMSs, as more than 30% of all websites on the internet are powered by WordPress.
Compared to coding, it’s extremely easy building a site with WordPress. But many people still don’t know how to do it, and if you’re one of them, then this guide is for you.
So without further ado, we’ll explain to you how anyone can build their own website with WordPress.
Steps to Creating a Website with WordPress
The table of content below will give you a general idea about the steps involved in making a WordPress website.
There may be some more steps required to further develop your site, but these 5 steps will be enough to create a simple website with webpages and content.
We’ll explain these steps in detail below.
Step 1: Get a Domain and Hosting
This is the first and foremost requirement for creating a website – to purchase a domain name and web hosting service. Before we tell you how you can get your own domain, we’ll tell you what domain and hosting actually means.
What are Domain and Hosting?
Domain, in the simplest sense, is the name of your website. It’s the address that people will type in the URL box of their browser to access your site. So it’s only obvious that no two websites can have the same domain. That is why the first step is to choose your own, unique domain name.
Hosting is the process of launching your site on the internet. When you create a website, all data related to it is stored on your computer. Web hosting connects this data, and your entire website, to the internet so that people can access it.
Choosing a Domain and Signing Up For Web Hosting
Getting a domain name and web hosting is crucial. There are many web host services that will do all the hard work for you. Some popular hosting services are Bluehost, GoDaddy, HostGator, etc.
Irrespective of which hosting service you choose, here are the steps to getting your domain and hosting.
- Go to the website of the web hosting service.
- Find the domain search box on their site. Enter the domain name you want. If it’s taken, try a different one until you find one that is available.
- Try your best to choose .com, .org, and .net as the extensions. Avoid other uncommon extensions.
- Now, go through the different hosting plans, read their terms, conditions, and what features they offer, and choose one plan that suits you best.
- Create an account on the web hosting site, make a payment for the plan of your choice, and that’s it! Your website now has a domain name, and is successfully hosted on the internet.
So getting a domain and web hosting is simple. It’s just a matter of choosing a name, selecting a plan, and purchasing it.
Step 2: Installing WordPress
Now, the next step is to install WordPress, which will allow you to start building different aspects of your website. WordPress can be installed in two ways. The first option is to download and install it from the web hosting site itself. All well-known hosting sites have a ‘one-click installation’ button. This will instantly begin downloading and installing WordPress.
If automatic functionality is not available, or if you want to install it manually for whatever reason, then you can download WordPress from their website www.wordpress.org (take note of the .org, as www.wordpress.com is a different website.)
And that’s pretty much it. Just like downloading any other software, you will be notified once the installation is complete.
As soon as WordPress is installed, you can start designing your site and adding content.
Step 3: Selecting a Theme and Designing the Site Layout
After you buy a domain, get your website hosted, and install WordPress, your website is actually ready. But it doesn’t have any design and content.
Before you start adding content, you must first select an appealing and clean theme for your website. You can also look for drag and drop WordPress themes for ease of use.
The steps below will explain how you can pick the best free WordPress themes for small business and plan the layout for your site.
- First things first, you need to log in to your WordPress site to access the dashboard. To do so, you must type your domain name in the URL box of your browser, followed by ‘/wp-admin/’. So, if your domain name is www.abc.com, then you need to type in www.abc.com/wp-admin/
- After you are logged in, the dashboard will be displayed on your screen. There will be a lot of menus and items on your dashboard, but don’t let it faze you. If you want to check everything and explore a bit, feel free to do so. Otherwise, head straight to the left-hand side menu in the dashboard. Here, you will see an ‘Appearance’ tab. Click on it.
- Under the Appearance tab, you will find the theme option. Clicking on it will lead you to the theme page, where you can choose from hundreds of themes. The best part is that you can find free WordPress themes that you can instantly apply to your site. Selecting the best WordPress theme is up to you, based on your site’s niche and what you think will appeal to other viewers.
- When you finally settle on a WordPress theme that you like the most, just click on the “Install Now” button, and the theme will be installed and applied to your site. To change the theme later, you just need to follow these exact same steps again.
Step 4: Creating Content for Your Website
So now you have a live WordPress site, and you have applied an amazing theme to it. But it does not have any content for people to view. That means the next thing to do is create a few pages for your site, and some posts as well.
The ‘Pages’ tab can be found easily on the sidebar of your dashboard. Click on it, and then on ‘Add New’, which will open up the page management screen. Here, you can add some content such as texts and images to the page and make customizations to manage its appearance.
Once you’re done with it, just click on the save option. Just repeat the same steps if you want to add more pages, such as a home page, an “about us” page, a “contact us” page, etc.
Once all pages are finalized, you can click on the ‘Publish’ button, which makes them visible on the internet for people who visit your site.
Creating posts for your site is also a similar process. Click on the ‘Posts’ tab, then on ‘Add New’, to open a new screen where you can manage your posts. Fill in the title of your post, the body, some images, and also type in a category for your post along with some tags. After that, either save it for future edits or publish it for the world to see.
Believe it or not, that’s all it takes to have a simple website up and running. It will have a unique domain name, it will be hosted so people can access it, and it will have a nice look and some content for the visitors.
So these are the basic steps for creating a website with WordPress. We used the word ‘Basic’, because these steps are just the minimum requirements for a website. To actually give a professional touch to your site, or have hundreds and thousands of people viewing your website, some more work must be done. You may have to get extra tools, also known as WordPress plugins that will offer you more functions and better control over your website.
However, these steps are sufficient to successfully create and launch a website, and are a perfect starting point for first-time website builders.
So, are you ready to launch your website? Go ahead! Do you want to launch your own blog? We have got you covered! A complete tutorial on how to create a blog is coming soon! Stay tuned!